If you are a senior leader looking for someone with a long and proven leadership track record, then Paul McGill is your coach.
Paul brings a vast depth and breadth of leadership experience and wisdom to his coaching based on 40 years working for New Zealand fire service organisations. He has hands-on leadership experience at multiple levels, from fire station officer, area manager, regional manager, Director of Operations and Training, through to National Commander of Urban with 11,000 reports, and acting CEO of the New Zealand Fire Service.
It’s fair to say that there are few, if any, leadership challenges Paul has not experienced. These include massive organisational restructures, navigating complex industrial disputes, and leading responses to major emergencies (Paul was the National Coordinator in response to the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake).
In 2017, as acting CEO, Paul laid the groundwork for the integration of the New Zealand Fire Service and 39 rural fire authorities into one organisation – Fire and Emergency New Zealand. This change represents the biggest organisational and cultural change in the Southern Hemisphere in the last 25 years.
Through his leadership career, Paul has gained a reputation for the following leadership attributes:
- Calm, measured and constructive management and communication style
- Ability to address difficult issues and make sound decisions
- Coaching and mentoring staff
- Strategic insight and vision
- Ability to set and achieve challenging goals
Paul applies these same attributes to his coaching.
- Masters degree in Management (Coventry University, UK)
- Member of City and Guilds of London Institute, for Fire Service Management.
- Fellow of the Institution of Fire Engineers
- Graduate of the Brigade Command Course at the Fire Service College in the UK.